Saturday, April 11, 2015

You Are A Masterpiece


"How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful!..." Song of Songs 4:1


Song of Songs is a love letter, and if we read it as if the Lord was speaking it directly to us the entire book of Song of Songs takes on a whole new application to our lives.  The Lord finds us beautiful, not in a sexual way that we may initially read through this book, but He finds us beautiful because we are His masterpiece, a work of art formed by His own hands. He is proud of His masterpiece. He is proud of you and loves you so very much!


As women, we struggle in this area. We look in the mirror and see only our flaws and the things that we don't like about ourselves. We tend to focus on all of the things we would change about ourselves. However, when God looks at us He sees something beautiful, something He is so proud of. He sees our true beauty. God is not looking at the reflection in the mirror that we are staring at. He is looking beyond our physical bodies. When God looks at us, He sees beautiful!  


"...People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7


Much like Van Gogh and da Vinci painted masterpieces that by today's standards are considered priceless, so has God made you a masterpiece, priceless in His eyes. Can you imagine saying to Leonardo da Vinci "Hey, your painting of the Mona Lisa is so ugly and worthless?" More than likely he would be offended by your statement, and yet this is what we do with God. For many of us, every single time we look in the mirror we make these kinds of statements. We are insulting not only the masterpiece, but the master Himself!


"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus..." Ephesians 2:10 (New Living Translation)
I admit I am just as guilty of looking in the mirror and the first thought that comes to mind is something I don't like about myself. Yes, we as women have a tendency to be so harsh, but I am so thankful I serve a God who can do brain surgery, and lasik surgery. No, I am not speaking of actual physical surgeries. I am speaking of a spiritual change in my mind and in my eyes, in the way I see and think about ourselves. It starts by seeing ourselves through the eyes of our maker. Since God sees us beautiful, we must believe that we are beautiful and not by the standards of this world because they are looking at the outward appearance. The beauty God sees in us runs so much deeper than skin, God is looking at the heart.

I pray that you allow the Lord to work on your eyes and minds this week. I pray that he does some spiritual surgeries on you if this is a need in your life. I pray that you come to an understanding that you are a masterpiece in the eyes of the Lord. I pray that you truly lay hold of the understanding that God finds you beautiful!

To read more on this topic, please visit "You Are A Masterpiece (Part 2)"

No comments:

Post a Comment